- 8 digestive biscuits/Graham crackers
- 100 g/3 ½ / 2/3 cup chopped mixed/candied peel
- 65 g/21/, oz. /5 tbsps. butter, melted
- 150 mil/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup creme fraiche
- 375 g/13 oz. /1 cup ricotta cheese
- 100 g/31/, oz. / ½ cup caster/superfine sugar
- 1 vanilla pod/bean, seeds only
- 2 large/extra-large eggs
- 225 g/8 oz. /1 ½ cups hulled strawberries
- 2-4 tbsps. caster/superfine sugar, to taste
- zest and juice of 1 orange
Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Line a 20.5 cm/8 inch springform tin/pan with baking parchment Put the biscuits/crackers in a food processor together with the peel. Blend until the biscuits are crushed and the peel is chopped. Add 50 g/2 oz. /4 tbsps. of the melted butter and process until mixed. Tip into the tin and spread firmly and evenly over the bottom.
Blend together the creme fraiche, ricotta cheese, sugar, vanilla seeds and eggs in a food processor. With the motor running, add the remaining melted butter and blend for a few seconds. Pour the mixture onto the base. Transfer to the preheated oven and cook for about 1 hour until set and risen round the edges but slightly wobbly in the center. Switch off the oven and allow to cool there. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight
Wash and drain the strawberries. Put into the food processor along with 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the orange zest and juice. Blend until smooth. Add any remaining sugar to taste. Pass through a sieve to remove the seeds and chill in the refrigerator until needed.