This cheese and tomato tart is so easy to prepare and very delicious! It is a traditional Italian recipe, and very popular breakfast and light dinner in Italy. Here is the recipe:
For the tart:
- 125 grams/4 ½ oz. strong white flour
- 125 grams/4 ½ oz. self-rising flour
- 125 grams/ 4 ½ oz. chilled butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- A pinch of salt
- Oil, for greasing
For the filling:
- 8-9 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and cut into eights
- 150 grams/ 5 ½ oz. coarsely grated Emmenthal cheese
- 4 eggs
- 100 ml/3 ½ fl oz. heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- A pinch of salt
- Sift the flours and salt into a bowl, then sift again. Work the butter into the flours, rubbing between your fingertips until the mixture resembles dry sand. Beat the egg yolk and water together and stir into the flour mixture with a fork. Once the dough starts to clump, knead very lightly to form a compact ball. Wrap in clingfilm and put in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Lightly grease a 28-cm/11-inch loose-based tart tin. Roll out the pastry very thinly and use to line the tin. Using the side of your forefinger, press the dough into the corner of the tin to raise it slightly above the rim. Line the pastry base with greaseproof paper and weigh down with dried beans. Bake blind in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Arrange the tomato segments in the pastry case in concentric circles. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top. Beat the eggs lightly, then stir in the cream, oregano, chives, and salt and pepper. Mix well, then pour into the pastry Return to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve hot or warm.