Well moist, rich, and extra chocolatey, this chocolate and sour cream Bundt cake is delicious! The sour cream flavor makes this cake really refreshing but still profoundly chocolate.
Perfect for any occasion, this chocolate and sour cream cake can be an ideal birthday cake if you simply change the Bundt pan with a regular round cake pan. It will take you 15 minutes to prepare it plus around 45 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
For the chocolate glaze:
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter and flour a regular Bundt pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cocoa powder, butter, water, and salt, and cook over medium heat, stirring, just until well melted and incorporated. Remove and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and baking soda. Apply ½ of the melted butter mixture and beat until you get a nice, thick mixture.
- Then, apply the remaining butter mixture and beat until combined. Place the eggs, one at a time, beating until completely mixed. Fold in the sour cream (or yogurt) and add the vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan; place in the oven and bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, around 40 to 45 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes; then invert onto a wire rack. Allow cooling completely before glazing.
- In the meantime, prepare the chocolate glaze.
- In a medium bowl, add the chopped chocolate and corn syrup; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and heavy cream and put over medium heat. Combine until the sugar is dissolved and the cream is hot. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and mix until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the chilled cake. Slice and serve.