- 125 g/4 oz./ ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 125 g/4 oz./ ½ cup packed soft light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. double/heavy cream
- 50 g/2 oz./1 1/3 cup roughly chopped blanched almonds
- 50 g/2 oz./ ½ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 75 g/3 oz. sultanas/golden raisins
- 50 g/2 oz./ 1/3 cup roughly chopped glace/candied cherries
- 40 g/1 ½ oz./ 1/3 cup plain/all-purpose flour
- 50 g/2 oz. dark/semi sweet dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 50 g/2 oz. milk chocolate, roughly chopped or broken
- 50 g/2 oz. white chocolate, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, 10 minutes before baking. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
Melt the butter or margarine with the sugar and double/heavy cream in a small saucepan over a very low heat. Do not boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds. hazelnuts. sultanas/golden raisins and cherries. then stir in the flour.
Drop teaspoonful of the mixture onto the baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes until golden. Leave the biscuits to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Melt the dark. milk and white chocolates in separate bowls. either in the microwave following the manufacturer’s instructions. or in a small bowl placed over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
Spread one-third of the biscuits with the dark chocolate. One-third with the milk chocolate and one-third with the white chocolate. When almost set. mark out wavy lines on the chocolate with the tines of a fork. or dip some of the biscuits in chocolate to half coat and serve.