Coffee mousse is an ideal dessert for all coffee lovers out there! A delicious coffee dessert with a nice splash of caramel sauce and chocolate makes this treat a good morning idea that will provide you energy and keep you full till lunch. However, remember – if you don’t like the taste of a coffee than this dessert is probably not the right one for you.
For the coffee mousse:
- 4 large eggs, free-range, separated
- 150 grams’ golden caster sugar
- 4 gelatin leaves, soaked in cold water
- 1 ½ tablespoons instant coffee granules, mixed with 2 tablespoons hot water to make a paste
- 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur, optional
- 110 ml of hot water
- 220 ml heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- Chocolate sprinkles
For the caramel sauce (optional):
- 50 grams’ white sugar
- 50 ml heavy whipping cream
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff.
- Remove the gelatin leaves from the water and squeeze out any excess moisture, then add to a small bowl along with the coffee, coffee liqueur, and the hot water. Mix well until the gelatin has dissolved completely.
- Combine the coffee mixture with the egg yolks mixture, then fold in the beaten egg whites and whipped cream, alternating between the two, using a large metal spoon to gently fold and incorporate the mixtures together.
- Spoon the mousse into small glass bowls/ramekins/cups and allow to set in the fridge for at least 90 minutes.
- Before serving, prepare the caramel sauce (or use store-bought) by heating the sugar and whipping cream in a saucepan together (over a medium heat) until you get a nice brown mixture. Carefully pour the sauce over each mousse and top with chocolate sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!