Are you ready to have the best deep-fried meal experience? Then, you need to try this deep-fried mozzarella recipe! Very creamy, crispy, and delicious! The ideal breakfast for the weekend! Here is the recipe:
- 8 slices bread, preferably slightly stale, crusts removed
- 100 grams/ 3 ½ oz. mozzarella cheese, thickly sliced
- 55 grams/ 2 oz. black olives chopped
- 8 canned anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 16 fresh basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 150 ml/ 5 fl oz. milk
- Salt and pepper
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Cut each slice of bread into 2 triangles. Top 8 of the bread triangles with equal amounts of the cheese, olives, and chopped anchovies. Place the basil on top and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay the remaining 8 triangles of bread over the top and press down around the edges to seal.
- Mix the eggs and milk together and pour into an ovenproof dish. Add the sandwiches and leave to soak for about 5 minutes.
- Add oil to a large saucepan and heat to 180-190C/ 350- 375F, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Before cooking the sandwiches, squeeze the edges together again. Carefully place the sandwiches in the oil and deep-fry for 2 minutes, or until golden, turning once. Remove the sandwiches with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. You will have to cook the sandwiches in batches.
- Serve immediately while still hot.