This pumpkin layer cake with frosting is ideal Thanksgiving dessert! Well moist, rich, and creamy, this cake is so delicious that your family will love it! Your kitchen will smell on autumn and joy for the holiday if you decide to prepare this amazing dessert. Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 310 grams (1 ½ cups) sugar
- 170 grams (3/4 cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) vegetable or canola oil
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 325 grams (2 ½ cups) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 405 grams (1 ¾ cup) pumpkin puree
For the whipped cream cheese frosting:
- 750 ml (2 ½ cups) heavy cream
- 450 grams (16 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
- 170 grams (1 ½ cups) confectioner’s sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Line the bottom of three 20 cm (8-in.) baking pans with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, around 3 to 4 minutes.
Apply the vegetable oil and vanilla extract and mix until well-incorporated. Place whole eggs and egg white in 2 batches, beating until combined after each addition.
- Put the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Apply ½ of the flour mixture to the batter and whisk until incorporated. Fold in the pumpkin puree and mix until combined. Apply the remaining flour mixture and whisk until well incorporated and smooth. You will get a thick batter.
- Divide evenly into the prepared cake pans.
Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove and allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from baking pans to a cooling rack to cool completely. In the meantime, prepare the filling.
To make the whipped cream cheese frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, pour the heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, and using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Apply the cream cheese to the whipped cream and beat until stiff peaks form (around 1 minute).
- In order to put the cake together, using a large serrated knife, take out the domes from the tops of the cakes.
- Apply the 1st cake layer on a cardboard cake circle or serving plate. Spread around a cup of frosting into an even layer on top of the cake. Then, apply the 2nd layer of cake, spread another layer of frosting. Repeat the process with the final layer of cake, then frost the outside of the cake.
- Top the cake with the final layer of cake, then frost the outside of the cake (including the top and edges).
- To finish, add candy pumpkins and/or sprinkle with cinnamon, or drizzle some caramel sauce and peanuts. Refrigerate until ready to be served. The cake is best for 4 days.