- 900 ml/1 ½ pints/3 ¾ cups stock, such as chicken, beef or vegetable
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsps. freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped coriander/cilantro
- 2 tbsps. freshly chopped basil
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped dill
- 1 medium/large egg
- 1 medium/large egg yolk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- warm bread
Pour the stock into a large saucepan, add the butter together with the herbs, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle boil.
Beat the egg and egg yolk with seasoning to taste, then pour slowly into the gently simmering soup. Use a whisk to do this and make sure that you whisk constantly so that the beaten egg does not curdle.
Ladle into warm soup bowls and sprinkle with plenty of grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with more grated Parmesan cheese, if liked, and chunks of warm bread.