- 6 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsps. freshly chopped thyme
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 350 g/12 oz. /2 cups Arborio/risotto rice
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 900 ml/1 ½ pints/3 ¾ cups vegetable stock, heated
- 2 tbsps. double/heavy cream
- 225 g/8 oz. /1 ½ cups peeled and finely chopped cooked beetroot 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 75 g/3 oz. / ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and lemon zest. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and transparent but not colored. Add the rice and stir until it is well coated in the oil.
Add the wine, then bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the wine has almost evaporated. Reduce the heat.
Keeping the pan over a low heat, add a ladleful of the hot stock to the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the stock is absorbed. Continue gradually adding the stock in this way until the rice is tender: this should take about 20 minutes. You may not need all the stock.
Stir in the cream, chopped beetroot, parsley and half the grated Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme and serve immediately with the remaining grated Parmesan cheese.