This is a silky dark chocolate ganache that has many uses. It can be whipped to use as an icing or filling, or just poured over any cake you like.
- 250 grams (9 oz.) dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
- 100 grams (3.5 oz.) milk chocolate, chopped
- 300 ml heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- Apply the both chopped chocolates in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream over medium heat. Bring to almost-boiling (watch carefully because if it boils for a few sec., it will boil out of the pan.
- Once the heavy cream has come to the boil, pour over the chocolates, fold in the maple syrup/honey and stir until smooth. Add rum if desired and combine.
- Allow the ganache to cool very slightly (no longer than a minute) before pouring over a cake. Start at the center of the cake and work outward.
- For a chocolate filling or fluffy frosting, allow it to cool until thick, then whip with a whisk until light and fluffy.