Mascarpone cream or crema di mascarpone is a typical Italian cream that is used for the preparation of tiramisu and many other desserts. Here is the easiest and best Italian recipe for preparing mascarpone cream:
- 500 grams Mascarpone cheese
- 130 grams’ sugar
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 ml water
- Cocoa powder (for dusting)
- In a pot, pour the water and add the sugar and vanilla extract. Cook over medium heat until it reaches 121 ° C /249.8 ° F (use a kitchen thermometer to get the exact temperature). But if you don’t have a thermometer – you will know that the syrup is ready when it begins to form small and white bubbles.
- Shortly before reaching 121 ° C, when reaching about 115 ° C begin to beat the yolks with the electric mixer. When the syrup has reached 121 ° C, remove and pour it over the yolks, continuing to beating on medium speed. Whisk until complete cooling. You will get a nice white creamy mid-firm texture, which is the base of so many confectionery preparations.
- In a medium bowl, apply the mascarpone cheese using a spatula. Then, fold in the white creamy mixture and combine with a spatula until you get a homogeneous cream.
- The cream is ready! You can use it for preparing tiramisu, taste it with slices of panettone or pandoro or pour it in dessert shorts and garnish with cocoa powder.
Keep at least 3-4 days in a refrigerator covered with transparent film. Freezing is not recommended because you will lose the velvety texture of the cream.
If you prefer a more compact cream, store it in the refrigerator about 1 hour before serving.