This mocha chocolate chip cake is a delicious dessert that will melt in your mouth. Impress your family or guests with this wonderful cake and offer them a lovely look from the outside and amazing taste!
For the cake:
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) salted butter, at room temperature – plus more for pans
- 250 grams (2 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour, sifted – plus more for pans
- 300 grams (1 1/3 cups) brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup to 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips, unevenly chopped; or chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 360 grams (3 cups) confectioners’ sugar
- 226 grams (1 cup) salted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon instant espresso (or if you don’t like the taste of coffee use 1 teaspoon of cocoa)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- ¾ cup to 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, for decorating
To make the cake:
- Heat oven to 350°F/175°C/ Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 8-inch cake pans with rounds of baking paper cut to fit.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and turbinado sugar until well-incorporated. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat again until smooth. In another bowl, beat the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add 1/2 the dry ingredients to the egg mix, combine well, then pour ½ the milk and combine again. Repeat with remaining milk and dry ingredients. Put the chocolate chips and combine well. The mixture may look curdled.
- Apply it into the pans and place in the oven. Bake around 30-35 minutes, or just until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Leave cool for around 10 minutes to a rack, then remove the cakes from pans to cool entirely. If the cakes are domed, level the tops by using a long, serrated knife.
To make the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the confectioners’ sugar with the butter, vanilla, and salt, until well incorporated. In a small bowl, combine the boiling water with espresso powder to dissolve; put it to the frosting, mixing well.
- Apply one cake layer on a serving platter and spread around 1/3 of the frosting over the top in an even layer.
- Next, top with the 2nd cake layer and use a butter knife or an offset spatula to spread frosting over top and, sides of the cake. Garnish with the chocolate chips.