Flan is a rimmed, open, sponge or pastry base, containing a savory or sweet filling. You can find flan in many cultures, but according to me, the classic one is the best one. So, am offering you a basic flan recipe, easy to make, it will take you to an hour and a half to prepare it. Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup water
- 4 large eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, add ¼ cup water and ½ cup sugar and heat until sugar dissolves. Then, increase heat and boil until the syrup gets deep amber color, stirring occasionally (around 10 minutes). Split caramel between six 3/4-cup custard cups. Tilt cups, working quickly, coating part of sides and bottoms. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce, over low heat, stir the remaining ½ cup sugar and milk and heat just until sugar dissolves.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs until blended. Gradually pour in milk mixture. Stir in salt and vanilla, then strain the custard into prepared cups.
- Place cups in 13 by 9 by 2-in. metal baking pan. Apply enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up sides of cups and bake flans until set in center, around 50 min.
- Remove cups from water and allow stand half an hour. Then, place in the fridge and chill at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Before serving, cut around sides of every cup in order to loosen flan and turn out onto a serving